Pahlaj Nihalani out of Censor board, scissors go to Prasoon Joshi
Stepping down as CBFC arch though regret: Pahlaj Nihalani
‘Pahlaj Nihalani sacked’: Twitterati applaud Prasoon Joshi’s entrance with waggish memes
Pahlaj Nihalani, a arch of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), finally got off a bench on Friday. The male who got on a nerves of a whole film attention in his two-year reign left many filmmakers and actors disappointed. While Mukesh Bhatt had once pronounced that Pahlaj Nihalani can “only do mistreat to a industry’, Aligarh executive Hansal Mehta elite offered underwear on a streets than use Nihalani for publicity. Swara Bhaskar too, in an open letter, asked a former arch to stop policing and not to sanitize art. Not usually a film companionship though also a member of CBFC, Ashoke Pandit, once called him an ‘anarchist’. Ever given he took bureau in Jan 2015, Nihalani has been a centre of countless controversies.
Here are some of a instances when Pahlaj Nihalani invited a slam of a attention and his colleagues over a issues associated to censorship:
1. Just after a few days of holding assign as a chairperson of CBFC, popularly addressed as Central Board, Pahlaj Nihalani came adult with a list of 28 damn difference that could not be used in a movies. From difference like, ‘haramzaade’ and ‘Bombay’, it had all a common suspects and some surprising ones. It hurt filmmakers in Bollywood. They called it absurd, backward and opposite artistic freedom.
2. In Feb 2015, Nihalani courted another debate as he targeted former house arch Sharmila Tagore for clearing Vishal Bhardwaj’s Omkara though any cuts since her son Saif Ali Khan played a pivotal purpose in a movie. “Omkara was her son Saif Ali Khan’s film. The house privileged it on her vigour that set a trend and recover of films like Gangs of Wasseypur happened,” pronounced Nihalani in an talk then.
3. In Mar 2015, Nihalani done headlines for not permitting a recover of Raj Amit Kumar’s Unfreedom, a film formed on homosexual relationships. The arch was reportedly irritated by a nakedness and a lovemaking scenes in a film. He was also of a perspective that a film detached from stirring animosity between Hindus and Muslims, would “ignite assumed passions.”
4. In Nov 2015, he embellished a prolonged kisses between Spectre’s lead actors Daniel Craig and Monica Bellucci. Many film personalities strike out during Nihalani for his proceed in certifying films.
5. Nihalani’s “tribute” to Prime Minister Narendra Modi patrician “Mera desh hai mahaan, mera desh hai jawan” that played during a break of Salman Khan starrer Prem Ratan Dhan Payo irritated many and even a cinema owners as it caused delays in using a shows of a movie.
6. In Dec 2015, Pahlaj Nihalani had to give an reason to a Information and Broadcasting method for flitting a trailer of adult comedies, Mastizaade and Kya Kool Hian Hum 3 notwithstanding many coarse dialogues and acts in them. In his explanation, he said, “We are in a Catch-22 situation. Karo toh gaali, na karo toh gaali. When we were despotic with a vulgarity quotient, we were called prudes. Sanskaari became a gaali. And to validate trash was seen estimable of taali. So, we approved some films with scenes and dialogues that we would differently have never upheld as they went opposite a guidelines.”
7. When Hansal Mehta’s film Aligarh starring Manoj Bajpayee was given a ‘A’ certificate, many, including a executive of a film could not come to terms with Nihalani’s decision. Defending his decision, he pronounced a subject of homosexuality is not for kids and teenagers to watch.
8. The Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Shweta Tripathi starrer Haraamkhor that revolves around a teacher-student intrigue was denied acceptance by CBFC in Jun 2016. Later a makers of a film approached Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT) and a film got expelled with U/A certificate.
9. Pahlaj Nihalani was in a eye of a charge when he sensory his scissors and suggested 89 cuts in Shahid Kapoor–Alia Bhatt starrer Udta Punjab that dealt with a problem of drug obsession among girl in Punjab. He suggested stealing a signboard mentioning Punjab in a film among other suggestions.
10. Obsessed with a right length of kisses, Nihalani upheld Ranveer Singh starrer Befikre trailer that had 12 kisses and gave it a U/A certificate. The many engaging partial was his reason of a same as he said, “The images in Befikre are not about a kisses alone. It’s about a whole lot of things, about love. The trailer shows kissing as a phenomenon of love; it’s not there for titillation.”
11. Nihalani wanted a images of goddesses Lakshmi and Kali to be confused in indie film Angry Indian Goddesses. These dual cuts were partial of a list of 18 changes that a CBFC “suggested” to a makers. While explaining his stance, Pahlaj Nihalani pronounced a changes were not random. They were done in a context of a film.
12. Once again Pahlaj Nihalani was underneath a scanner when he suggested many weird cuts in Deepika Padukone’s entrance Hollywood film, xXx: Return of Xander Cage. From a word ‘baller’ to scenes where women are fibbing on a bed and are pouring a splash were chopped from a film.
13. Lipstick Under My Burkha was too ‘lady oriented’ for a former arch of CBFC. The film had, he said, “contanious (sic) passionate scenes, violent words, audio pornography”
14. Nihalani asked a makers of Shah Rukh Khan starrer Jab Harry Met Sejal to get one lakh votes in support of a use of a word ‘intercourse’. And when people upheld in foster of a film, he refused to criticism on a issue.
These are a not usually controversies where Pahlaj Nihalani got stuck, there were some-more of them.