It was a jubilant night for British entertainment during a Tony Awards on Sunday night, with Harry Potter and a Cursed Child picking adult 6 awards.
The West End send collected 6 gongs, including best play and best direction, during a New York ceremony.
Veteran singer Glenda Jackson won best singer in a play for her opening in Three Tall Women.
British-American star Andrew Garfield won best actor in a play for his spin in a reconstruction of Angels in America.
But a biggest leader of a night was a low-pitched about an Egyptian rope visiting an Israeli dried city – The Band’s Visit picked adult an considerable 10 prizes, including best musical, best singer (Katrina Lenk) and best actor (Tony Shalhoub).
Beyond a prizes, Oscar-winning actor Robert de Niro pulled no punches when he delivered an expletive-laden libel of US President Donald Trump during a live radio broadcast.
The clamour was bleeped by a CBS network for millions of radio viewers.
Top Tony moments 2018
- Robert De Niro forsaken a F-bomb in anxiety to President Trump – and got a station acclaim durability over a minute
- Andrew Garfield done a absolute debate that he dedicated to a LGBTQ village as he supposed his award. He finished his debate with a anxiety to a new Supreme Court ruling, that found that a Colorado bakery was legally available to repudiate use to a happy integrate who attempted to sequence a marriage cake for their same-sex wedding. “We are all sacred, and we all belong,” pronounced Garfield. “So let’s only bake a cake for everybody who wants a cake to be baked.” Cue shrill applause.
- There wasn’t a dry eye in a residence when students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High propagandize in Parkland, Florida, took to a theatre to perform Seasons of Love from a low-pitched Rent. A gunman killed 17 students during a propagandize in February.
- Glenda Jackson was rewarded for her lapse to Broadway after a three-decade gap. And one child sitting behind a British singer was apparently delighted.
- Sparky a goat, one of a stars of low-pitched Once on this Island, was on a red runner – and inside Radio City Music Hall. But Nathan Lane was not amused.
De Niro afterwards introduced Bruce Springsteen, who achieved and was presented with a special award.
The actor said: “Bruce, we can stone a residence like nobody else. And even some-more critical in these hazardous times, we stone a vote, always fighting for, in your possess words, truth, transparency, and firmness in government. Boy, do we need that now.”
Andrew Lloyd Webber was celebrated with a lifetime feat award.
Other winners enclosed Carousel (best choreography and best featured singer in a low-pitched – Lindsay Mendez).
Angels in America also won best reconstruction of a play, with Broadway brave Nathan Lane winning best featured actor in a play.
But low-pitched Mean Girls, formed on a 2004 film, went divided empty-handed after receiving 12 nominations.