The EU will pierce fast towards environment adult a new corner limit and coastguard force over a subsequent 6 months, EU leaders have said.
“We should adopt a position by Jul [on a force]”, European Council President Donald Tusk said.
It would have a stronger charge than a stream Frontex limit agency, that suffers from a miss of resources.
Record numbers of migrants have reached Italy and Greece by vessel this year.
- Migrant predicament in graphics
- EU battles to keep border-free area
- Europe’s ‘comeback’ to migrant predicament
Greece is a biggest headache for a EU, as many migrants transport north from there though being registered.
Hungary was a initial to build a blockade to branch a flow, though some-more fences have left up. The lapse of many limit controls has undermined a Schengen leisure of transformation principle.
Worries about a 26-nation Schengen section – where pass checks are mostly absent – dominated a Brussels summit.
EU members are “failing to strengthen a outmost borders”, Mr Tusk said.
But Mr Tusk stressed after talks that “we can be a bit some-more confident since all a leaders concluded to strengthen Schengen”.
He also pronounced that additional Frontex staff would be deployed in Greece this month.
Concern about a infiltration of jihadists soared after final month’s atrocities in Paris, adding to concerns about people traffickers and other criminals channel EU borders easily.
But Hungary and Poland insist that a new EU limit force contingency not criticise inhabitant sovereignty.
The European Commission devise says a EU contingency have management to muster a force even to a nation that did not ask it, if necessary. But it would still work alongside inhabitant limit staff.
Also on Thursday, EU leaders discussed a bid by British Prime Minister David Cameron to remodel his country’s attribute with a EU.
European Council boss Donald Tusk said a talks represented a “make or mangle moment”.
Slow swell on skeleton to solve crisis
- Relocation of 160,000 refugees from Italy and Greece Progress: Only 184 relocated to other EU countries
- Resettling 22,000 refugees “in transparent need of general protection” from camps in Middle East Progress: about 600 refugees resettled to EU
- Eleven “hotspot” migrant accepting centres in Italy and Greece Progress: Two handling so distant
- Common EU list of “safe” countries where migrants can be sent behind to Progress: Not nonetheless agreed
- Reduce series of migrants nearing in EU by boat Progress: About 4,000 migrants still nearing daily in Greece by sea from Turkey – not most fewer than Nov average
- EU experts and apparatus deployed in Greece and Bulgaria to assistance limit staff Progress: Frontex group still brief of resources
Source: Luxembourg EU presidency
The quarrel opposite terrorism is approaching to underline heavily on Friday after it emerged during slightest dual of a Paris enemy used a migrant track to transport to France.
But writing in his limit invitation, European Council President Donald Tusk was penetrating to keep emigration and apprehension as apart issues.
“The insurance of a outmost borders is not dictated to shock off those who rush wars or persecution,” he said.
Many of a migrants are refugees from a conflicts in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.
arrivals by sea adult to 11 December
219,000 arrivals in 2014
3,619 passed or blank in 2015
64% of arrivals to Greece are from Syria
As a scattered year draws to a close, European leaders are struggling to say unity, a BBC’s Chris Morris in Brussels says.
The UN’s interloper group says 954,481 migrants and refugees have landed on Europe’s shores this year, and some-more than 800,000 of them have arrived in Greece.
Most transport north around a Western Balkans to countries such as Germany and Sweden.