At Least 18 Dead After Gunmen Seize A Cafe For Hours In Burkina Faso

Gunmen stormed an upscale cafe overnight in Burkina Faso’s capital, Ouagadougou, strafing the building with bullets and barricading themselves inside for hours. By the time security forces reclaimed the restaurant around dawn Monday, at least 18 people had been killed and eight others wounded, according to local authorities.

The West African nation’s communications minister, Remis Dandjinou, told reporters Monday that by daybreak, two of the attackers had been killed and several foreign nationals were among the dead. In separate statements, officials in Paris and Ankara confirmed the victims include a French citizen and Turkish citizen, while another Turk was injured in the violence.

While Burkinabe officials blamed Islamist militants for the attack on the Turkish cafe, no one group immediately claimed responsibility.

“I salute the bravery of our security and defense forces whose engagement allowed us to neutralize the terrorists,” Burkinabe President Roch Marc Christian Kabore said in a statement, as translated by CNN.

Share this:

Related Search

Tags:
author

Author: